Thursday, July 11, 2013

#tbt Rain Man review

It's good to see Tom Cruise before his couch-jumping Scientology days. Hell, it's good to see Tom Cruise anytime.
For today's Throwback Thursday review, I have decided to review the 1988 award-winning drama Rain Man. First off let me say, this is a fantastic movie that I regretfully haven't seen until now. It's an all around great film, and completely deserved the Best Picture Oscar it won. The plot is there's this selfish businessman, named Charlie Babbitt, (played by Tom Cruise) who finds out he has an autistic brother, named Raymond (played beautifully by Dustin Hoffman), after his father dies. Charlie then takes Raymond on a cross-country road trip. At first all Charlie cares about is his inheritance money, but soon he begins to care about Raymond, and become a better person in the process. Rain Man is one of those few movies that lifts your spirits and yet also makes you wistfully sad at the same time. It's wonderful. I hate to sound so corny but Rain Man is just that great. The acting in this movie is terrific as well. Tom Cruise is pretty good here playing the self-centered yuppie. It's not his best performance (I think his best was in Magnolia) but he's pretty damn good. Dustin Hoffman gives possibly the best performance of his life in this movie! He portrays the autistic savant Raymond Babbitt with such realism and emotion, he makes Tom Cruise look like less than an amateur. Dustin Hoffman won Best Actor for his magnificent performance he earned it completely! Mr.Hoffman is almost always good, but this is his finest role. The writing here is really good also. Touching and original are two words to describe the story. It's no wonder Ronald Bass and Barry Morrow won Best Original Screenplay for Rain Man. I wish I had some negative things to say about this film but I honestly can't think of any. Barry Levinson did a more then decent job directing. He won a Best Director for this and I can surely say it is his masterpiece, although Barry Levinson hasn't done anything very good except for Rain Man. Rain Man may join the ranks of movies like American Beauty and Pulp Fiction as one of my favorite films. If you haven't noticed, I really loved this movie. So, that's all. See this movie. Happy Viewing and Happy Throwback Thursday! You can follow me on Twitter @WhitsMovies and like me on Facebook at Facebook.com/WhitsMovies!    

No comments:

Post a Comment