Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Much Ado About Nothing review

All the ado about 'Much Ado' isn't for nothing. Wait, that made sense, right?
The newest Joss Whedon flick isn't a superhero movie, or a horror movie, or an alien movie. It's a Shakespeare adaptation. As unlikely as that sounds, he is pretty much able to pull it off. Especially since he shot it for a shoestring budget in a very short amount of time. The plot, if you don't know it already, is a soon to be wed couple of Claudio and Hero get mixed up in trickery at the hands of Don John, meanwhile Beatrice and Benedick flirt with each other trying to get their hand in marriage. I went into this film not knowing what to expect. A Joss Whedon Shakespeare adaptation? I was skeptical. Yet, although it had it's drawbacks, it was a fun and enjoyable take on a very old story. I honestly don't love Shakespeare. I'm probably not as versed in it as I should be, but it never really struck a chord with me. Joss Whedon accomplished the difficult task of making the film really interesting, funny, and surprisingly not boring. Mr. Whedon doesn't deserve all the praise, the cast helps a lot. Amy Acker plays Beatrice and she is likable and pretty funny. Alexis Denisof plays Benedick and he does okay, but he was really just mediocre. Clark Gregg, who was Agent Phil Coulson in The Avengers, is not only funny but really good at delivering his lines. Seriously, that guy should be in more movies. Fran Kranz was Claudio and he portrayed him very well and did a very good job. Yet, out of all the cast, Nathan Fillion hilariously stole the show as Dogberry. Dogberry is this Constable guy who had to interrogate possible criminals. Fillion is always good as he's shown in Firefly, but he is fantastic here. Every scene he was in made me laugh. Nathan Fillion is probably one of the best parts of Much Ado About Nothing. The film isn't all good though. It got very boring at times. Some scenes in the beginning seemed to drag on forever. Alexis Denisof wasn't that great either, as I said before. But besides that, it's still a pretty fun movie.I never thought I'd really enjoy a Shakespeare movie but I did, mostly. So I wouldn't recommend it to everyone, but if you like this kind of movie, you'll love 'Much Ado'. It sometimes drags and some of the acting is sub-par, but Joss Whedon's direction and Nathan Fillion's hilarious performance more then make up for it's mistakes. I give Much Ado About Nothing 3.7 out of 5 stars. You can follow me on Twitter @WhitsMovies and like me on Facebook at Facebook.com/WhitsMovies! Happy Viewing!   

No comments:

Post a Comment