Thursday, July 11, 2013

Frances Ha review

As Silver Linings Playbook taught us, dancing solves all your problems! This movie only reinforces that point. Sorta.
I really don't know very much about writer/director Noah Baumbach except that he's helped pen a couple good Wes Anderson films. I haven't seen any of his other movies like The Squid and the Whale or Greenberg until I saw Frances Ha. It wasn't amazing, but I was pleasantly surprised. A black-and-white film that doesn't have a real specific plot may turn some people off. Don't worry. The black-and-white only adds to the movie and I didn't find it irritating at all. The fact that it didn't have a plot was actually a good part of the film. It was more of a character study or a snapshot of a certain time in this girls life. It was good. The basic "plot"of the movie is this girl Frances loses her best friend and is going through a bit of a bad time in her life. She tries to cope with it, hold on to her hopes, and mature. I honestly wasn't expecting to enjoy this movie at all. Once the credits started rolling, I was kind of shocked at how much I'd liked it. The writing is absolutely terrific and very original. I think the screenplay is the best part of the movie. It's smart, witty, profane, and sometimes hilarious. Frances Ha at times reminded me of a more feminine Clerks mixed with a romantic comedy. Although there is less romance than you'd think, and Frances never succumbs to the annoying rom-com stereotypes. Frances is played by Greta Gerwig and she does a nice job acting for the most part. She manages to be likable yet, she is not a perfect person. Frances is real. She has flaws and makes stupid decisions like anyone else. Frances's "best friend" Sophie is played by Mickey Sumner. Sophie makes bad decisions too but is mean at times and not as good of a friend as Frances. Mickey Sumner portrays Sophie quite well. Another good performance in this film is Micheal Zegen who plays Benji, one of Frances' friends. He is one of the most likable characters in the movie and is good throughout the film. Frances has her ups and downs, but she always is funny and real. Frances Ha may not be a huge blockbuster, but it has something not enough movies have. Heart. It''s not a perfect film, but it's funny, insightful, and fresh. I'd recommend it. I give Frances Ha 3.9 out of 5 stars. Remember, you can follow me on Twitter @WhitsMovies and like me on Facebook at Facebook.com/WhitsMovies! Happy Viewing!      

No comments:

Post a Comment