Thursday, April 11, 2013

#tbt What's Eating Gilbert Grape review

So before I start my review I just want to say that if you have any movies you want me to do for Throwback Thursday reviews, just send me a tweet or email me at whitsmovies98@gmail.com.
So, I recently watched Lasse Hallstrom's 1993 drama, What's Eating Gilbert Grape. It was emotional, beautifully shot, and had some great performances by Johnny Depp and Leonardo DiCaprio (who got a much deserved Oscar nod for his role). The film is about young Gilbert Grape (Depp), who lives in a rural and boring town ,called Endora, but wants more from life. Gilbert has to take care of his obese mother and his mentally challenged brother, Arnie (DiCaprio). Gilbert works as at a grocery store and in his little free time talks to his friend and has an affair with the neighbor's wife. One day while trying to stop Arnie from climbing a water tower, he sees a girl who he soon falls in love with. The girl, named Becky (Juliette Lewis), is worldly and fun. She is the anti-Endora. Gilbert feels trapped in not only Endora but in life. He doesn't want to end up like his mother, stuck in the same place for years. When Arnie screams "You're not going anywhere!", it was symbolic of Gilbert's situation. I don't wanna ruin it for you, but Gilbert doesn't stay stuck. The end of the movie is mostly happy with a nice full circle conclusion that leaves you smiling. Not only is the story good, but the cinematography is pretty awesome. A lot of the movie is shot in soft focus and shows the character's feelings well. My point is, the whole movie is pretty great. Happy Viewing and Happy Throwback Thursday! Again, if you have any recommendations for #tbt reviews just email me! Don't forget to follow me on Twitter @WhitsMovies and like me on Facebook at Facebook.com/WhitsMovies!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment