Thursday, April 25, 2013

#tbt Mean Streets review

"You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bull shit and you know it." Those words are spoken by director Martin Scorsese in the very beginning of the 1973 film Mean Streets. I think that quote can sum up the movie in a way. Mean Streets is about Charlie, played by Harvey Keitel, a young man trying to make in it in the local mob all while trying to keep some of his morals and struggling with his religion. The film is all about his struggle with everything in his life from his girlfriend to her crazy cousin, Johnny Boy (Played by Robert De Niro). So, when I started watching this film, I expected a classic mob shoot em' up flick. I was perfectly fine with that and was looking forward to it. What I got was more of a character study of Charlie, with hints and dashes of mob violence. I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. Mean Streets was emotional with great acting, terrific dialogue, and an awesome soundtrack! Before about a year ago, I didn't know who Harvey Keitel really was. He was just "that guy who was in Reservoir Dogs". After watching some more movies, I really appreciate Harvey Keitel's acting talent. He was fantastic in this film. Watching him deliver Scorsese's dialogue while giving an ass-kicking performance was like watching a master at work. Now, Robert De Niro on the other hand, I've always known as a great actor and to no one's surprise did a great job. I really have to say something about the soundtrack to Mean Streets. Martin Scorsese went all out when choosing the music to his film. Every song has a meaning to the scene and really adds to the movie as a whole. Scorsese's direction is great, the acting is award-worthy, and the whole film is just damn terrific. I loved Mean Streets and I highly recommend it. Happy Viewing! You can follow me on Twitter @WhitsMovies and like me on Facebook at Facebook.com/WhitsMovies!

No comments:

Post a Comment