Thursday, May 16, 2013

#tbt There Will Be Blood review

I didn't know much about this movie back when it came out in 2007. All I knew was it something about Daniel Day-Lewis and milkshakes. I didn't get a chance to see it and forgot about it. I was recently reminded of the film and decided it was my time to finally watch it. So I did, and I was amazed. For today's Throwback Thursday review, I'm reviewing Paul Thomas Anderson's award-winning movie, There Will Be Blood, which was adapted from a 1927 story called Oil! (which have not read.) First off, the movie is pretty fantastic. It gets off to a slow pace but Daniel Day-Lewis' amazing acting job kept me watching. Soon after, the movie picks up and starts getting very intriguing. It's about an oil prospector named Daniel Plainview (Day-Lewis), who is successfully trying to get oil from the ground and sell it. Daniel and his (adopted) son, HW, come across a ranch on a piece of land with a lot of oil underneath it. They buy the land and business starts flowing, until an accident and several other events effect Daniel for better or for worse. There Will Be Blood won two Oscars. Best Cinematography and Best Actor. The cinematography was pretty great here. The lighting really set the mood and helped give the film a certain feel. That award was quite worthy. Daniel Day-Lewis gave possibly one of his best performances ever. The way he portrayed the emotion in Daniel Plainview was so raw and awesome it really made you appreciate him as an actor. Daniel Day-Lewis is one of those guys who I never really loved. I saw him in a couple movies and I really didn't understand the hype about him. I knew he was good but there were a lot of actors who I thought were just as good, if not better. After watching him in Gangs of New York and this I truly understand why people think he is so great. He really plays the part. His performance is so genuine it's crazy. He most certainly deserved the Oscar. Paul Thomas Anderson is a director people say is great, but yet I've never seen any of his work. I'd like to see Magnolia and Boogie Nights, but I've never gotten a chance. This is the first film by him that I've seen. It was written very well and the direction was good also. If his other movies are of this caliber (which I'm sure they are) then I'm very excited to see them. So, There Will Be Blood is really good. Not one of my favorite movies, but still really good. I'd recommend it to almost anyone. If want me to review a certain movie next week just message me. You can message me or follow me on Twitter @WhitsMovies and like me on Facebook at Facebook.com/WhitsMovies!

No comments:

Post a Comment