Thursday, May 9, 2013

#tbt The Aviator review

Can someone please tell me why Leonardo DiCaprio didn't win an Oscar for his role in The Aviator?
He did an awesome job in this movie. Just wanted to get that out of the way before I started my review. So, The Aviator is a 2004 film Directed by Martin Scorsese. It's a biopic about Howard Hughes and his life as a director, aviator, and his slow decent into madness. The movie shows many aspects of Hughes' interesting life from his obsession with making the perfect plane to all the girlfriends he had from Katherine Hepburn (Cate Blanchett, who won an Oscar for her performance) to Ava Gardner (Kate Beckinsdale.) It also shows the parts of his life where he made movies. Hughes spent millions upon millions making these films and when people laughed at him, he only went and made more money and more movies. The movie portrays Howard Hughes and his life flawlessly. Scorsese's direction in this film is downright awesome. Some shots are so amazing that I can only stare in awe and wonder how he pulled it off. There is a certain series of shots that show the old-fashioned light bulb cameras taking pictures and those shots are absolutely terrific. I really don't understand why Scorsese didn't win Best Director for this work of art. As I said before, Leonardo DiCaprio's performance is more than award worthy. When he acts it doesn't seem like acting, he is Howard Hughes. When he is in anguish trying not lose himself, you see the pain on his face. His acting in this movie was beyond great. Cate Blanchett won the only acting Oscar for the Aviator. I thought she played Hepburn fine nut it wasn't exactly Oscar worthy. Martin Scorsese, who for a long time seemed to steer away from special effects, used them quite efficiently in a particular crash scene. The crash looked believable and DiCaprio's acting only added to the realism. The film is fairly long, with a 170 minute run time, but it uses that time well and doesn't bore you for a second. Martin Scorsese is becoming one of my favorite directors (next to Quentin Tarantino and Wes Anderson) and Leonardo DiCaprio is becoming one of my favorite actors. This movie only added to that. So my consensus? Watch it! Happy Viewing! If you have any recommendations for my next Throwback Thursday review you can tweet me @WhitsMovies or message me on Facebook at Facebook.com?WhitsMovies.

No comments:

Post a Comment