Thursday, October 3, 2013

#tbt The Breakfast Club review

This movie's title is a lie. At no point in the film does anyone eat breakfast.
The Breakfast Club is considered a staple of 80's films. Everyone I've talked to who has seen The Breakfast Club, has nothing but good things to say about it. It's hailed as a classic and masterpiece in high school flicks. I'm not entirely sure if it deserves masterpiece status, but it's still a pretty damn good movie. The plot of The Breakfast Club is that a group of high school stereotypes: the jock, the princess, the basket case, the nerd, and the criminal; get a Saturday detention together and spend it bonding and learning about each other. All while having a little fun. I don't necessarily like reviewing these very well known "classic" movies. Everyone has an opinion on them and so much has already been said about them that it's hard to say anything new. This movie was good, because of blah, blah, and blah. Roger Ebert and thousands of other people said the same thing 25+ years ago. So I'll try my best not to sound repetitive. Sit back, relax, and enjoy my review of The Breakfast Club.
Apparently John Hughes wrote the screenplay for this in only two days. For only two days of writing, this is really quite good. The dialogue here is decent. Although, it edges into corny territory, I'm forgiving considering the age and subject matter of the film. It can't really help but be corny. Besides that, I was surprised of how well this had aged. Despite being over 25 years old, The Breakfast Club never really feels dated. It still seems relevant and applicable to today's high school society. I would know (for the most part) being a current high schooler and all. The acting in The Breakfast Club isn't superb, but it's nicely done. Emilio Estevez is okay as the jock, Andrew. Anthony Micheal Hall is also good as the nerd, Brian. The rest of the cast do good jobs, but the performance that stands out the most here is Molly Ringwald as Claire, the princess. Ringwald perfectly blends a mix of spoiled rich kid, popular girl, and vulnerable teenager with a soft side. I haven't seen her in too much else, but she's terrific here. The only real problem I have with this movie is it sometimes seems like things work out too well. Things are too perfect and seemingly planned out, which gives the otherwise realistic movie, a slightly less realistic feel. Besides that, The Breakfast Club is a true classic that every teenager should watch. At the risk of sounding corny, the movie gets it. And it does it well. Happy viewing. You can follow me on Twitter @WhitsMovies and like me on Facebook at Facebook.com/WhitsMovies! P.S. Sorry I haven't gotten any theater reviews up in a while, I've been really busy. I'll try really hard this week! Thanks!     

No comments:

Post a Comment