Tuesday, September 3, 2013

The World's End review

Who knew the feel-good movie of the year would be about beer and robot aliens? I sure didn't.
Edgar Wright, Simon Pegg, and Nick Frost are the guys behind Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, and now, The World's End. Or as it's commonly known, The Three Flavours Cornetto Trilogy. It is called this because in all three of the films, an English ice-cream snack called a Cornetto makes an appearance. There is something else that connects all three movies. The fact that they're all really entertaining, funny, and meaningful on a whole number of levels. All get into all that in a bit, but first: the plot. In 1990 Gary King and his friends graduated school and decided to celebrate by accomplishing The Golden Mile, which is where you have to drink at least one pint of beer at a certain 12 pubs spread throughout a mile their hometown. They didn't complete The Golden Mile. Gary King (Simon Pegg) is now all grown up and a "recovering" drug addict. He's feeling a loss of a sense of purpose in his life, so he gets his friends (Nick Frost, Martin Freeman, Paddy Considine, and Eddie Marsan) back together to accomplish what they couldn't finish in their youth. The Golden Mile. Only the thing is, Gary is the only one who really wants to do it. In fact his friend Andy (Nick Frost), doesn't even drink anymore. But the quest commences with only one thing standing in their way, robot-aliens filled with blue goo. I love Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz. They are two original and hilarious movies that are almost as re-watchable as The Big Lebowski (the most re-watchable movie of all). One day I may review them so you can know my love for the films. But now I must tell you of my opinion of The World's End. When I first heard about this movie I was very excited, yet very scared. So many movies have dropped off at the third installment. Although the fact that these movies weren't connected plot wise may be it's saving grace. So when I finally got to see it, I was relieved. The World's End is funny, exciting, and had a nice underlying message that doesn't hit you over the head. So yeah, I liked it. Edgar Wright has this particular fast cut direction style that he used in Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, and a little in Scott Pilgrim vs. The World. It's not as evident here, but it's not completely gone, which is nice. And although The World's End has it's similarities to the other films, it's its own movie. Besides those four movies I haven't seen anything else Edgar Wright has done, but I am excited to. I'm certainly looking forward to his Ant-Man movie. That'll be something. The actors here do a great job. Their comedic timing and British wit fit perfectly with everything Wright's doing here. Rosamund Pike is in this too, if you didn't know. I last saw her in Jack Reacher and Wrath of the Titans. It's good to see her actually exercise her acting ability here. Martin Freeman is also good, although he sort of plays the same role in every movie I've seen him in. Simon Pegg and Nick Frost are the best here. Of course. Simon Pegg co-wrote the script with Edgar Wright too. The guy's got talent. The plot of the flick is about aliens and alcohol. But what it's really about, and I'm sure I'm not the only one to say this, is growing up and feeling out of place in the town you once called home. I probably don't have enough life experience to truly understand that, but I have enough to grasp the idea. Wright and Pegg execute it perfectly here. Is The World's End the best movie ever? No. And it's not as good as it's predecessors in the Cornetto trilogy. But, it's still damn good and possibly the best movie of the summer. I give The World's End 4.2 out of 5 stars! Happy Viewing! Remember, you can follow me on Twitter @WhitsMovies and like me on Facebook at Facebook.com/WhitsMovies!      

2 comments:

  1. Still have not had a chance to check this one out yet, but I have been reading nothing but good things.

    ReplyDelete